An excellent media center for Android
The fierce competition between media centers present on Windows, macOS or Linux PCs has also landed on Android smartphones and tablets. There are loads of programs that can be downloaded to manage and play the contents stored in our multimedia gallery, but hardly any of them manage to be as efficient and offers such a great performance, as is the case of Kodi XBMC.
The most versatile open-source media center
And if it isn't the most versatile, it's definitely one of the most: we're talking about software capable of playing videos and music, as well as behaving like an image viewer and platform to launch games that we can see on our Android device, acting as a client with a connection to another device that works as the server.
The APK format of this app is as customizable as the versions of this program that we can get hold of on other platforms. Its different add-ons allow us to adapt its functions and features to the way we use it, in order to be able to enjoy a much richer user experience.
This multimedia center comes along with a wide range of functions and features such as the following:
- Movie player: it can play the most popular video and source formats, including online contents via streaming. It can important any title with all its artistic information. You can import any title with all the artistic and complementary information (trailers, posters, covers, extras, fanart...). It also supports the playback in 3D and high-quality video.
- Music player: your music collection also has room in this software with support for formats such as MP3, FLAC, AAC, WAV or WMA. Therefore, nothing can prevent you from listening to your favorite songs and bands. Furthermore, you'll also have access to the best information since it's capable of importing tags from online services such as MusicBrainz as well as drawing up smart lists so that you've got full control over your music collection.
- TV player: enjoy the best television programs just as you do with your movies. In other words, with full descriptions about the plot, actions and a tag system to help you organize your contents better.
- Image viewer: import your collection of photos and browse through it in different manners. Group them, play presentations or filter them as you wish.
- Tune into the TV and record its contents: another interesting function can be found in its capacity to tune into TV channels and record those contents that interest you the most.
- Customization by means of extensions: the developers of this project know how important it is to offer flexible software adapted to the user's needs or preferences. By means of installing add-ons we can access repositories developed by the user community, adjust the playback of any content to how we enjoy videos or music.
- Skins for the user interface: download and install different skins for the program in order to modify its visual aspect. Choose between dozens of skins or design your very own ones.
To make the most of all its features, you can install it on your device although the best way to enjoy it to the max is installing XBMC as a server. For instance, on an old computer that you no longer use. Then, by sharing the WiFi network you'll be able to play on your Android smartphone or tablet any content without needing to download it previously.
Differences compared to Kodi 16.1 Jarvis
Each new version of the media center comes along with substantial changes regarding the previous one. Krypton isn't an exception, and with regard to Jarvis we can point out the following updates:
- New default skin designed for touchscreen devices.
- New menu with the main sections grouped on the left.
- New settings menu designed with tiles.
- New design of the music section with functions comparable to those of videos.
- List of add-ons installed in chronological order.
- Audio quality improvements.
- Solves tiny bugs and errors of the application.
All in all, if you're looking for a decent media center to be able to enjoy all your multimedia contents, Kodi offers you exactly what you're looking for. One of the best options available.
- Requires Android 5.0 or above.
- The installation of the app by means of the APK file requires the activation of the "Unknown sources" option within Settings>Applications.
Kodi - XBMC 17.1 Krypton
The best media center for PC and Smart TV
Official Kodi Remote iPhone 1.5.6 New
Remote control app for Kodi